Grammar can be frustrating to master as you try to learn a language. This book was written to be easily accessible to students of English as a second language. Practice Makes Perfect: Intermediate English Grammar for ESL Learners is designed to help beginner- and intermediate-level learners hone their grammatical skills to the point where they are comfortable with English grammar. Technical terminology has been kept to a minimum, and simple terms are used wherever possible. As a result, you will be able to focus on learning new material.
You have already begun your study of English grammar. This book will provide you with a higher-level look at that grammar. The numerous examples provide models on which you can rely to form your own original sentences. The many practical exercises give you the opportunity to practice what you have learned. Be sure to use the answer key to check your work. And this second edition is supported by additional review questions in the McGraw-Hill Education Language Lab app.
As you progress through this book, you will find that your confidence in using English is growing, and by the time you finish the book, you will be one major step closer to being a fluent speaker and writer.
The verb phrase.
It is impossible to compose a correct sentence without using a proper verb. The verb is at the very foundation of a sentence. The verb phrase may be composed of only one word or it may have related parts. Consider the following examples.
Angela had to go to Chicago.
The boys are fishing at the creek.
Someone should repair that window.
Sometimes, the related parts are composed of more than one word. In the examples above, the verbs are go, fish, and repair, and the related parts are had to, are, and should.
1 The sentence.
2 The verb phrase.
3 The verb.
4 The progressive tenses.
The present progressive.
The past progressive.
The future progressive.
5 The perfect tenses.
The present perfect.
The past perfect.
The future perfect.
6 Modal auxiliaries.
Shades of meaning.
7 The progressive forms of modal auxiliaries.
8 The auxiliary verb do.
Using do in questions.
Using do in negative sentences.
Appendix A: Irregular past tense and past participle forms.
Appendix B: Short tag questions and answers.
9 The passive voice.
Using the passive.
10 The passive form of modal auxiliaries.
The future tense.
The past tense.
11 The stative passive.
Adjectives and participles.
The progressive form vs. the stative passive.
12 Past participles with get.
13 Participial adjectives.
14 Subject-verb agreement.
Third-person singular and plural.
The verb be.
Expressions of quantity.
15 Agreement with nouns.
Personal pronouns and collective nouns.
16 Using other.
Distinguishing gerunds from present participles.
Conjunctions and their meaning.
Subordinating conjunctions 1.
Adverbs that act as conjuncti.
Noun and pronoun objects.
More than one prepositional phrase.
20 Adjectives and adverbs.
21 Filler subjects and impersonal subjects.
The question mark.
The exclamation point.
The hyphen and the dash.
Parentheses and brackets.
24 Capitalization, numbers, and italics.
appendix Review exercises.
Бесплатно скачать электронную книгу в удобном формате, смотреть и читать:
Скачать книгу Practice Makes Perfect, Intermediate English Grammar for ESL Learners, Torres-Gouzerh R., 2019 - fileskachat.com, быстрое и бесплатное скачивание.
Ниже можно купить эту книгу по лучшей цене со скидкой с доставкой по всей России.Купить эту книгу
Скачать - pdf - Яндекс.Диск.
Теги: учебник по английскому языку :: английский язык :: Torres-Gouzerh
Смотрите также учебники, книги и учебные материалы:
Следующие учебники и книги:
- Grammar Scan, Diagnostic Tests for Practical English Usage, Swan M., Baker D., 2008 — They are diagnostic tests, designed to be used with Practical English Usage (Third Edition). They will help you to check … Книги по английскому языку
- Grammar Scan, Diagnostic Tests for Practical English Usage, Answer Key, Swan M., Baker D., 2008 — Find out what you know and what you don t know about tenses, articles, prepositions, sentence structure, spoken grammar, politeness, … Книги по английскому языку
- Practice Makes Perfect, English Grammar for ESL Learners, Swick E., 2018 — Many people consider learning grammar a chore. And at times, it can be. But understanding the grammar of any language … Книги по английскому языку
- Practice Makes Perfect, Advanced English Grammar for ESL Learners, Lester M., 2017 — Practice Makes Perfect: Advanced English Grammar for ESL Learners is designed to help advanced-level learners gain control over difficult areas … Книги по английскому языку
- Practice Makes Perfect, Complete English All in One for ESL Learners, Swick E., 2019 — Practice Makes Perfect: Complete English All-in-One for ESL Learners, aimed especially at self-taught learners, is designed to serves two purposes … Книги по английскому языку
- Grammar Friends 6, Teacher s Book, Flannigan E., 2009 — Grammar Friends is a six-level series of grammar reference and practice books for children aged from about six to about … Книги по английскому языку
- Grammar Friends 1, Teacher s Book, Ward T., 2009 — Grammar Friends is a six-level series of grammar reference and practice books for children aged from about six to about … Книги по английскому языку
- Family and Friends 1, Flashcards, 2009 — Фрагмент из книги. Cat Fan Man. Книги по английскому языку